Monday, August 14, 2006

Carpeting the garage

Today we had to go to work. I was really surprised at how exhausted I was. Man oh man. I guess we really did do a lot of work yesterday.

Oh, I failed to mention that last Friday, when we had to drop some forms off at the building department, I casually asked when we could expect to get our permit. One thing led to another, and they informed us that we needed to fill out a demolition permit, and by the way, we had to get the utility company to remove the gas meter. "But how are we going to shower if we don't have hot water?" I asked incredulously. "Oh, you can't live there during the remodel!" they said. "WHAT!?!?" I exclaimed! At that point I thought to myself "back away from the counter... pretend like you never heard anything and let Mike deal with it." I'm still waiting in a state of plausible denial, having not heard anything more. (Kurt thinks we can rent a shower from our next-door neighbors if worse comes to worst... we'll see! Hopefully none of it will come to pass.)

Tonight, we decided to carpet the garage. I think one of my favorite parts of remodeling is that you can destroy the part of the house that's being remodeled. It's so rare that you have an opportunity to poke holes in walls or cut stuff up. So we went downstairs with the utility knife, and cut a few choice cuts in the downstairs bedroom carpet. Kurt finished the job, moving furniture where necessary to get the carpet unloosed, and moved the carpeting outside. I vacuumed the carpeting (you're wondering why? because the furniture has to stay on the carpeting for nine months), and we rolled it up and hauled it up to the garage.




After moving the bikes out (again), it fit perfectly. We put the bikes back in and the garage is now carpeted and ready to be occupied by furniture. Heck, maybe we should just move into the garage now, it's so nice!

No comments: