Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Movin' on out

Today was a very very stressful day. It was a stressful work day to begin with, which didn't help. Despite the fact that I had cleared my schedule so I could really make progress on a big project, I didn't anticipate the hitch that would come in the remodel. Our contractor called to say he had failed to make progress with the city on allowing us to live at our house during the remodel. Sigh. I called the city, and talked to Curt, the same guy I had spoken with last Friday, and really he wouldn't budge. Basically we are going to have to get a demolition permit before work can start, which means that PG&E will have to take out the gas and electric meters, and we'll have to install a temporary power pole to power the site. So cost goes up some more, as we'll have to pay for the extra utilities. But worse than that, we have to find another place to live, something which we really weren't prepared to do at this stage of the game.

One of my colleagues at work had mentioned that she knew of a place that had just become available as a short-term rental. It's a house about a mile from our house that is slated to be torn down. It's owned by a developer and he is awaiting permits. We know how that goes! So he is offering it for rent at a below-market rate for the flexible period he's going to be renting it for. We made arrangements to go see the house this evening, and it's a 2500 sqft one-story house on half an acre on a fairly quiet street. It's really way too big for what we need, but the price was right, and hopefully we only need it for a couple of months. I'm hoping we can move back into our house after the major part of construction is done. So amazingly, we rented the house. I guess that's what you'd call serendipity!



I have to say that I'm still not too thrilled that we have to actually move out of the house, but we'll make it work somehow. It's going to be strange rattling around in a 2500 square foot house with very little furniture. We really don't want to move too many things over because we don't want to have to move them back!

Now we have to get all our utilities connected at the new house, and get everything we're going to move, moved over. I'll do that tomorrow, I guess. At this moment in time, I'm just worn out.

No comments: