Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Kurt's bday present -- we get to keep our electricity!

Today Kurt turned 50. I made him warm toast with butter, just like he wanted, so his day would start off right.

Mike Cole, our contractor came by first thing, and we gave him the official signed contract. I guess now we're really committed (or maybe we should be!). After he met with us, he went down to talk to the city again, and they relented and gave us our electricity back. Hallelujah! We don't have to disconnect it (and we don't have to pay to have a temporary power pole dragged in, which would just be, well, stupid). We still do have to disconnect our gas, however.

I called PG&E to disconnect gas. I'm still waiting for the call back.

I got a new phone # from PacBell, and ordered our DSL moved. By next Wednesday, we should be all set up in the rental house. I ordered call forwarding to send our calls from our regular # to our new #. We'll disconnect the new # when we leave. I'm not sure whether I'll even bother with cable. We'll live the life of esthetes. As long as we have our internet, we're fine. That seems to be the only really essential utility (well, that, electricity, since batteries don't run forever, and of course, hot water).

It was another horrible horrible day at work. The stress of the remodel and this unexpected move is becoming almost too much to bear. Isn't remodeling fun?

Well tomorrow is another day, and I will need to bother PG&E until they call me back, and will need to take care of the garbage in the new place as well. Someone is coming tomorrow to add a DSL line to a different room in our old house (on the offchance we ever need to use it) and to fix the cable in our master bedroom in our old house. We'd ordered this up when we thought we were going to be living here, but since it would be useful to have this now anyway, we decided to keep the appointment.

I'm hoping tomorrow is just ever-so-slightly less stressful!

No comments: