Sunday, April 27, 2008

Furnishings...


We are slowly refurnishing the house. Prior to and during the remodel, we sold a lot of the furniture we didn't want to keep. So the house has been pretty empty, but slowly I'm filling in the missing pieces.

Back in October, I ordered bar stools from DWR which arrived over a period of several months. In November, I ordered a new Poliform dining room table from Europe-by-Net in a wood that matches the kitchen. It arrived in the beginning of April, in perfect shape. (It's also serving as my new desk!) Sadly, Europe by Net is not selling much to the US any more, most likely due to the weakness of the dollar (they did their sales in dollars, rather than in Euros or Pounds, and probably got burned badly on the currency fluctuations).

I was also able to pick up a couple of nice area rugs from a Roche-Bobois floor sample sale (so they were somewhat reasonably priced). You can see the one that Coda's perched on to the left. She certainly likes it!

I had to go to Italy in late March for a friend's wedding, and during that trip, I picked out the fabric for our sofa, having settled on the Flexform Groundpiece. Prior to the trip I had designed the layout for the sofa, so having picked out the fabric, I was able to get pricing from several stores in the US, Italy and the UK. intirium.com (in the UK) was the winner by far, although there was a lovely store in Ferrara, Italy that was a close second. My only hesitation is that I had to buy it in Euros, so now I'm the one speculating on currency. Hopefully the Euro won't change much relative to the dollar between now and the time it arrives (when I have to make the last payment). The sofa should arrive some time this summer, at which point we'll do the furniture shuffle (sofabed downstairs comes upstairs to guest room, sofa upstairs goes downstairs, and new sofa goes in living room).

Having the major pieces in hand, I bought a lovely B & B Italia accent chair yesterday from someone on craigslist, which is a nice compliment to either the old sofa or the new one. I still need to purchase dining room chairs (trying to decide between Baleri Italia mari' and Zanotta Lia), and a real entertainment unit for downstairs (to replace the $69 Ikea piece I got a few months ago). As the weather's nice, I need to get a small outdoor patio set and a BBQ (will most likely get the small Fuego, since it has a very clean design). Eventually, I want to get a bedroom set for downstairs, but for that I'll continue to monitor craigslist for a bargain. There are so many great craigslist items for sale... you just have to be patient and wait for the right thing to come along.

At some point, I should put up some artwork too. But I'm still afraid to put holes in the wall!

9 comments:

Drifter said...

what was your experience in intirium ? i was hoping to order from them

-Ed

Polly said...

My experience so far as been very good. But I don't yet have the sofa! They have been extremely responsive in e-mail to my queries, and their prices are really good. The only downside is that I wasn't able to get fabric samples through them. I did check with references before ordering (all were good), so I'm hopeful this will turn out to be a positive experience. The only thing you have to realize is that you'll be ordering in euros, which may be a bit nervewracking in these times of a weak dollar.

I'll post when the sofa arrives, but I'm not sure you'll want to wait until then!

BTW, last summer, I could have ordered the same sofa from Europebynet.com. My guess is it would have been less expensive, because they would have quoted it in dollars. But I suspect europebynet.com got burned selling in dollars with the dollar plummeting against the euro.

Good luck!

- polly

Anonymous said...

I am trying to order some Poltrona Frau product through intirium.com but suddenly Poltrona Frau in UK told me that they do not guarantee that the products will be real etc. and that their registered address some where in the North of London but when you drive there, it is an empty place. Is this a sham? Please help me. Alex

Polly said...

Well, all I can tell you is my experience. Dealing with intirium.com was probably my best experience ever (buying a very expensive sofa). They were very accurate with their shipping estimates, and the sofa arrived on time, and in perfect shape. I have no doubt it was genuine Flexform. Their customer service was exceptional, and they were available at all times over e-mail. Given that I knew exactly what I wanted, I was extremely happy with my experience.

Of course that was before the whole current economic crisis, so I don't know what's happened to their business since then.

BTW, I also got a similar story from Flexform US about Intirium.com. I am fairly certain that the manufacturer only wants their approved distributors to sell their stuff (at non-discounted prices). However, I will say that my experience buying from intirium.com was SOOOOOOO much better than my experience with our local Flexform/Poliform dealer, so I'm not really sure that the manufacturer has your best interest in mind.

Good luck, and post again with what you decide to do!

Jean said...

I am about to place the order from Intirium-discount is about 30% all in. Are they legit? On the order form, they want my SS# and date of birth-I have never given that info to any merchant in the past. Please update on your current purchase. Thank you. NYC.

Polly said...

Hi Jean,

Yes, they're legit. In fact, I just bought some Poltrona Frau dining room chairs from them which arrived last December.

I too was queasy about the SSN info, but they need it for customs. It is legit, unfortunately. BTW, you are liable for the use (sales) tax on your imported merchandise. You'll want to pay it with your next year's taxes or your state may come after you (as I found out the hard way after I imported my sofa).

My purchase experience with intirium was no different this time than last -- terrific customer service. I would buy from them again.

Good luck!

- polly

Anonymous said...

Hi Polly,

did you buy anything from Intririum in recent years? How was your experience?

Kind regards
Karin

Polly said...

Hi Karin,

The last thing I bought was 6 Poltrona Frau chairs, back in 2013. But the experience was smooth and painless, just like purchasing the sofa. If I had to buy another piece of high-end European furniture, they would be the first place I'd go to.

Best,

- polly

simon loh said...

Hi karin, I am from Singapore and yes I bought quite a no of pieces recently from Nadia from Intirium. The company is perfectly legit and the whole process was smooth. Just be prepared that the items would take some time to arrive (not Intirium's fault) as these designer furnitures are all custom made.

Simon