Sunday, May 06, 2007

Counting down the days

We have to move by May 20th. The scraper is being scraped. It will be no more. So we have to be out before then. A lot needs to happen with the house between now and then. We need to get the rough inspection, so that they can start drywalling and we can beg the city to turn the gas back on. The old kitchen cabinets that are in the garage need to be installed in the garage so we can move our furniture into the garage.

The house construction is moving right along. The interior doors are installed, and they just put in all the insulation. They finally sheared up the master bedroom wall (meaning, they closed it up with plywood), and will presumably rock it and finish it within the next couple of weeks so we can move back in.

We had our rough inspection on Friday and failed because we don't have enough floor outlets in the great room. The electrician is coming on Monday to install the outlets, and then the inspector will come back on Tuesday and hopefully we'll pass. As an added bonus, the inspector will sign off on the insulation as well, and we should be able to start rockin' on Wednesday. The rocking will take a couple of weeks, as we moved to level-5 drywall with a flush door detail which takes longer. As soon as that's done they need to tile the kitchen floor, as the cabinets will be arriving soon (early June it looks like now).

I finally chose the new kitchen faucets. We'll go with Dornbracht Elio, the compromise being that we won't install the pot filler. We also chose the Caesarstone color: cement. Or was it concrete? Honed (matte) finish. It should go nicely with the wood and the glass in our kitchen, and with the floors and will be somewhat of a contrast with the fireplace stone.

Yesterday we moved a bunch of stuff out of the scraper and put it in the semi-empty pod. I've packed much of the kitchen, and most of the books and other knickknacks in the scraper that we're not going to need. It's really somewhat goofy to be doing this; I know it's going to take me months to unpack, and I probably will sell or give away most of what I unpack. We have way too much stuff! I found that I packed several boxes of items that I'd moved here to sell on eBay but never did get around to it. Once the remodel is done, I'll occupy myself by selling stuff on eBay, since I won't have anything else to do any more.

Speaking of selling, I managed to sell our Yamaha Clavinova piano and our Ikea desk within two days on Craigslist. Both people came to pick up their purchases in minivans.. they are the ultimate utilitarian vehicle! We borrowed our friends' minivan this weekend to speed the moving process.

Next week we'll start housesitting for Kurt's folks, and assuming the city will let us live back in our house, at that point I will put everything in motion to move the DSL, cancel the cable/electrical/water at the scraper, etc. It's making me tired just thinking about it. I wonder why I've been so tired lately? If we can't move back to our house, we'll have to figure out a plan B.

More pics can be seen on Kurt's picture website. Now it's time to get packin!

No comments: